logo title
Book Now
sleep@chipmanhill.com
INFO 1-877-859-3919
71sydney
76 Union
1 ChipmanHill
5 ChipmanHill
9 ChipmanHill
145 Germain
182-188 Sydney
2 Mecklenburg
71 Sydney
75 Coburg
77 Coburg
map_blds
Chipman Hill Suites
76 Union Street
Saint John, N.B.
Canada E2L 1A1
Toll Free: 1-877-859-3919
Phone: (506) 693-1171
Fax: (506) 657-5950
sleep@chipmanhill.com

Member of:
uptoensj Uptown Saint John     tianb Tourism Industry Association of NB     CanadaSelect NB Tourism Grading Inc.    
N.B. Bed and Breakfast Association     Saint John Apartment Owners Association    
76 Union

76 Union Street is the continuation of 1 Chipman Hill. In days gone by, it housed the stables.

HERITAGE VALUE

Chipman Hill Properties are designated a Provincial Historic Site for their architecture. They illustrate the typical upper-middle class urban housing typology in Saint John during the mid-19th century when the city was at its economic peak. The rectangular massing, low pitch gable roofs and classic entrance details of these buildings are good examples of elements from this style. However, it was their brick construction that enabled these homes to survive the great fire of 1877 and prevented its spread, thereby saving a large part of the city. Certain interior elements of 1 Chipman Hill are also significant.

Built circa 1854 with interior renovations likely in the 1870’s, 1 Chipman Hill contains a remarkable variety of decorative trompe-l’oeil wall and ceiling paintings portraying illusionary three-dimensional effects reflecting High Victorian taste. Combining inspiration from antiquity, the Renaissance and 18th century France, representations include illusionary three-dimensional sculpture and wall paneling, materials and textures. These works are a rare and early surviving example of artistic painted decoration in a Canadian home.

Source: Department of Wellness, Culture and Sport - Heritage Branch - Site File: Vol. III - 12845-5, 34.

1 ChipmanHill

Chipman Hill Properties consist of three circa 1854 Neoclassical brick townhouses situated at 1, 5 and 9 Chipman Hill in Saint John. The building at 9 Chipman Hill is a two-and-a-half storey structure, while the others are three-and-a-half stories in height.

HERITAGE VALUE

Chipman Hill Properties are designated a Provincial Historic Site for their architecture. They illustrate the typical upper-middle class urban housing typology in Saint John during the mid-19th century when the city was at its economic peak. The rectangular massing, low pitch gable roofs and classic entrance details of these buildings are good examples of elements from this style. However, it was their brick construction that enabled these homes to survive the great fire of 1877 and prevented its spread, thereby saving a large part of the city. Certain interior elements of 1 Chipman Hill are also significant.

Built circa 1854 with interior renovations likely in the 1870’s, 1 Chipman Hill contains a remarkable variety of decorative trompe-l’oeil wall and ceiling paintings portraying illusionary three-dimensional effects reflecting High Victorian taste. Combining inspiration from antiquity, the Renaissance and 18th century France, representations include illusionary three-dimensional sculpture and wall paneling, materials and textures. These works are a rare and early surviving example of artistic painted decoration in a Canadian home.

Source: Department of Wellness, Culture and Sport - Heritage Branch - Site File: Vol. III - 12845-5, 34.

5 ChipmanHill

The Senator Dever Residence is a three-storey, brick, side-gabled, Neo-Classical residence with an off-centred entrance. It was built circa 1850 as part of a group of three pre-fire brick buildings on Chipman Hill in Saint John.

The Senator Dever Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its survival against two separate incidents of near loss (fire and urban renewal) and for its association with early occupant Senator James Dever.

This property is one of three brick Neo-Classical town houses in succession that descend from Union Street to King Street in one of the oldest parts of Saint John. This building was at the boundary of the area destroyed by the Great Fire of 1877. The hard work that was put into saving it and its two sister properties broke the fire and helped prevent its spread to Union Street. The other buildings on the street and nearby on King Street were demolished during Saint John’s urban renewal program. The group of three pre-fire brick residential buildings at the top of Chipman Hill were slated for demolition as well, but citizen action led to their preservation. The simple symmetrical style of these three older Neo-Classical brick buildings provides a stylistic contrast to the more ornate late-Victorian styles found in the adjoining post-fire district. The Senator Dever Residence, like its two sister buildings, has a steep side-gable with no roof overhang. Aside from the entrance, ornamentation is limited to a slim string of dentils at the roof-line cornice and quoins along the edges of the exterior walls. The entrance is the prominent feature of this home with its beautiful hand carved door, sidelights and transom. Ionic columns support a pedimented entablature above the entrance. The foundation of ashlar masonry that descends with the grade of Chipman Hill also adds to the heritage value of the building.

The lots containing this home and its sister homes were once part of the Ward Chipman estate. Ward Chipman was an important lawyer and politician in early Saint John. The street is still named for him, although his own grand residence on the other side of Union Street was demolished to make way for the Carnegie Library and the YMCA. The building date of the three Chipman Hill properties is unclear. It is likely that they were built before Ward Chipman’s sale of the land in 1853 to grocer Robert Armstrong and his brother-in-law Aaron Hastings. The lots had already been divided on city maps before the sale, the sale price being high for land only. The style of the buildings is consistent with an early date.

This was the home of Senator James Dever from the early 1870's until his death in 1904, while his widow lived here for many years later. James Dever was born at Bellyshannon, Ireland in 1825. He came to Saint John as a child with his parents and was educated here. He served through various clerkships in general stores and later carried on a wholesale wine and spirit business and accumulated considerable property. He retired from business life soon after the Fire of 1877. James Dever was in politics before confederation and shortly after Canada became a Dominion he was called to the senate as a representative of the Saint John District and of the Roman Catholic denomination as there were no members of that church among the 12 senators from New Brunswick. He was called to the senate in 1868 but was a spectator of the historic session of 1867 and attended every session until his death in 1904. His 36 successive years on the senate has proven to be the longest tenure served by a Saint John representative and the third longest tenure of all New Brunswick senators.

Source: Planning and Development Department – City of Saint John

9 ChipmanHill

The John Yeats Residence is a two-and-a-half storey, brick, side-gabled, Neo-Classical residence built circa 1850. It is located at 9 Chipman Hill at the lower end of a significant group of three pre-fire brick buildings in Saint John.

HERITAGE VALUE

The John Yeats Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its survival against two separate incidents of near loss (fire and urban renewal), and for its association with the first residents of the home. The building also has cultural value as the headquarters of a benevolent organization. This property is one of three brick Neo-Classical town houses in succession that descend from Union Street to King Street in one of the oldest parts of Saint John. This building was at the boundary of the area destroyed by the Great Fire of 1877. The hard work that was put into saving it and its two sister properties from the flames broke the fire and helped prevent its spread to Union Street. The other buildings on the street and nearby on King Street were demolished during Saint John’s urban renewal program. The group of three pre-fire brick residential buildings at the top of Chipman Hill were slated for demolition as well, but citizen action led to their preservation. The simple symmetrical style of these three older Neo-Classical brick buildings provides a stylistic contrast to the more ornate late-Victorian styles found in the adjoining post-fire district. The residence has a steep side-gable with no roof overhang. The high ceilings in this home allow for large elongated windows. Ornamentation is limited to a slim string of dentils at the roof-line cornice. This building differs slightly from the others in that the entrance is not located on the street façade.

The lots containing this home and its sister homes were once part of the Ward Chipman estate. Ward Chipman was an important lawyer and politician in early Saint John. The construction date of the three Chipman Hill properties is unclear. It is likely that they were built before Ward Chipman’s sale of the land in 1853 to grocer Robert Armstrong and his brother-in-law, Aaron Hastings. The style of the buildings is consistent with an early date. It was sold again to 54 year old spinster Deborah Hazen in 1859. Deborah Hazen was a member of another Saint John family significant in local history. Through the 1880's this was the home of John Yeats, one of Saint John’s most prominent and prosperous merchants at the time. John’s father, Alexander Yeats, owned a large iron warehouse under the name of Yeats and Sons. They built the Europe-bound ship “Alexander Yeats,” which was said to be the best vessel ever constructed in Saint John. John Yeats led a movement for steam fire engines and a proper fire alarm system. He worked many years with the fire department. He was also director of the Bank of New Brunswick and its vice president at the time of his death in 1894.

The tenure of the Saint John City Union of the International King's Daughters and Sons in the building was from 1899 to 1940. Expanded from a small group calling themselves The King's Daughters in New York City in 1886, this progressive international service movement was based on circles of ten women uniting in service with a defined social structure of united groups. The John Yeats residence provided the third home in Saint John for the Union of King's Daughters and King's Sons groups, and provided a space for their organizational activities. The organization was active in war work during WWI and went into decline in the 1930's.

Source: Planning and Development Department – City of Saint John

145 Germain

Bonnell Dental Infirmary is a 3 storey, brick, Second Empire building with large pedimented, Roman arched, gabled dormers against the mansard roof. It is located on Germain Street within the Trinity Royal Preservation Area of the City of Saint John.

HERITAGE VALUE

Bonnell Dental Infirmary is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with physicians and dentists. Many of the buildings in the residential district of Germain street were constructed in the latter part of the 19th Century or early 20th Century as all the older buildings were destroyed in the Great Saint John Fire of 1877 fire. Built in 1888, Bonnell Dental Infirmary is a good example of Second Empire architecture. Among its many Second Empire features are the rectangular 3-storey rectangular brick massing, the dormers and the mansard roof.

The heritage value of Bonnell Dental Infirmary is also recognized through its long association with various physicians and dentists of the Saint John Area. It first became a doctor's office under the direction of Doctors Stewart and Sherwood Skinner from 1903 to 1911. In 1912, Dr. Harry Spangler, general physician, had his medical clinic until 1938. Dr. Percival Bonnell practiced and operated the Bonnell Dental Infirmary on Germain Street from 1939 to 1970. Many other local dentists practiced at this infirmary as well. Dentists including Gordon Knight, Frederick Scott, Selby Wetmore and several others operated alongside Bonnell, making this site an historic landmark of local medical practice and skill.

Source: Planning and Development Department - City of Saint John

184-188 Sydney

This building was constructed after the Great Saint John Fire of 1877. It features the double bow front design and is of brick construction. This building has a large fenced yard and is located across from Queen Square Park. A children's play ground is two minutes walk away. In this building, there are 3 bachelor suites, two 2 bedroom suites and two 3 bedroom/2 bathroom suites.

These suites range from budget to deluxe. Coin operated laundry facilities with iron and ironing board are on site for your convenience. Parking is free and plentiful on the street just outside the building. It is about a 10 minute walk to Brunswick Square. The bus stops right outside the door.

2 Mecklenburg

The Robert Thomson Residence is a two-storey, brick, Queen Anne Revival home with and off-centre entrance and a round tower with a conical roof. It is located on Mecklenburg Street in the Trinity Royal Heritage Preservation Area of Saint John.

The Robert Thomson Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with its former occupants. Built in 1890, the Robert Thomson Residence is recognized for its elaborate architecture and for being among the fine residences that surround Queen Square. The streets that surround Queen Square boast some of the finest residences in Saint John. The Robert Thomson Residence is a good example of brick Queen Anne Revival resdiential architecture from this era in Saint John.

Heritage value is also recognized though its association with Robert Thomson. Robert was born in 1842, the son of William Thomson, founder of the firm of William Thomson & Company, well-known ship owners and agents of Saint John. William started the business as a ship broker. In 1862, Robert entered his father's office while acting as the Imperial German Consul. In 1870 he was admitted into partnership with his father. By 1882 his father had retired and Robert, along with his brother, John, took over the management of the firm and the business grew to even greater successes. This firm had built 14 ships and barques, three steel ships, nine steel ocean steamers, and their vessels were in ports all over the world. They were agents for the Allen Steamship Line, the North German Lloyd, the Hamburg-American, the Head Line, and the Furness Line. After the turn of the 20th century, trade conditions were not as favorable and they began selling some of their steamers to concentrate more on brokerage insurance. Robert was the popular commodore of the Royal Kennebicasis Yacht Club for many years and much of its success was due to his patronage and support. Robert Thomson was more widely known through his business connections than perhaps any other man in Saint John, and the firm became the most successful and best known of all Maritime Province shipping firms. He filled a prominent place in the commercial and social life of Saint John. His enterprise and that of his firm gave the city worldwide prominence. Robert died at this residence in 1914. Robert's daughter, Mabel G., was inducted into the New Brunswick Sport's Hall of Fame as a golfer. Mabel was a champion golfer at many golf competitions throughout Canada.

Source: Planning and Development Department - City of Saint John

71 Sydney

71 Sydney Street was purchased by Chipman Hill Suites in August of 2005. This beautiful building was constructed as a private home by a local physician who was also the Mayor of the City of Saint John. In subsequent years, it became an apartment building, and then was made into an inn called the Parkerhouse Inn.

The Inn was operated under two different owners and then closed in December of 2004. It was unoccupied until it was purchased by Chipman Hill Suites. Our first guests stayed here in September of 2005 and it has proved to be a very popular building with our "regulars".

The building has 10 guest rooms, each with kitchenette and private bathroom. There are two rooms with double bed, two rooms with queen bed and six rooms with king beds. Three of the king bed rooms are actually two-room suites. Like all our suites, 71 Sydney Street has free wireless high speed internet for all of our guests. This building has free guest laundry and a computer in the lobby where guests may check and send email.

75 Coburg

MacLaren Residence is a two-and-a-half storey, brick, Queen Anne Revival home. It was built circa 1889 in the vicinity of other large residences in the eastern part of the Central Peninsula of Saint John.

HERITAGE VALUE

MacLaren Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its association with Hon. Murray MacLaren and for its historical association with royalty. MacLaren House is a fine example of the Queen Anne Revival style. The essential features of this style are the asymmetrical massing and the colourful use of materials. The primary façade of this property has a dominant front facing gable and a round tower with conical roof in keeping with the style. The open veranda with highly decorative spindle work below the roof and supported by a series of balusters encloses the front entrance area. Brick dentils and banded brick masonry are used to enhance the decorative elements of the home.

MacLaren House was built in circa 1889 for prominent lawyer James Stratton and later obtained by Dr. Murray MacLaren in 1897. Mr. MacLaren was born in Richibucto, New Brunswick in 1861 and moved to Saint John with his parents at the age of three. He was a doctor by profession and was elected president of the Canadian Medical Society prior to WWI. He was consulting surgeon at the Saint John General Hospital during that war. He also served as Deputy Director of Medical Services for the Canadian Army overseas. He attained the rank of Colonel in the military.

Mr. MacLaren was elected to the Canadian House of Commons representing the New Brunswick riding of Saint John-Albert in the 1921 Federal election. He sat in the House of Commons until 1934. From 1930 to 1934 he was the Minister of Pensions and National Health. From 1935 to 1940 he was the Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick. When King George VI and Queen Elizabeth came to New Brunswick in 1939, the royal visitors stayed at MacLaren House. Dr. MacLaren was a strong supporter of erecting the present New Brunswick Museum in Saint John, having been president of that institution. He was a Provincial patron of the Boy Scouts Association of New Brunswick and a member of the Canadian General Council. He was an outstanding member of the Scouting movement for many years. He passed away on Christmas Eve in 1942.

77 Coburg

This building at 77 Coburg Street is located directly beside another of the Chipman Hill Suites properties at 75 Coburg Street. They share a parking lot directly behind both buildings, entered off Garden Street beside the Garden House Bed and Breakfast.

The building itself was constructed sometime around 1890 and was originally the Coburg Street Christian Church. Over the years, the congregation joined the Douglas Avenue Christian Church and sold the building to the United Pentecostal Church which operated there until the mid 1970's. At that time, it was sold again and was divided into 11 bachelor apartments.

This is its current incarnation; however, all of these good size bachelor suites have been redone and they now represent one of our best values in accommodation. The exterior of the building is more "industrial" in appearance than most of our buildings; However, these bachelor suites offer a lot for the money. All have a queen bed, full bath, full kitchen with portable dishwasher and 25" TV/VCR/DVD.

The building has free high speed wireless internet and free onsite laundry facilities. Bachelor suites in this building rent at $1500 per month including all regular Chipman Hill Suites services.

77 Coburg 75 Coburg 71 Sydney 2 Mecklenburg 184-188 Sydney 145 Germain 9 ChipmanHill 5 ChipmanHill 1 ChipmanHill 76 Union